
Copper Country Trail
All Photos (19)
-
Miners pose with lunch pails in hand on a mine rock pile outside of the Tamarack mineshaft.
Public Domain. Courtesy of Keweenaw National Historic Park Archives
Download Original (2100 x 1661 pixels, 545.6 KB)
-
Waves crash against the shore near Copper Harbor Lighthouse Complex, part of the Fort Wilkins State Historic Park.
Public Domain.
Download Original (2100 x 1500 pixels, 284.9 KB)
-
This 9.5 mile drive is considered one of the most scenic drives in the U.S. Views from the top of Brockway Mountain Drive include the tip of the Copper Country and spectacular Lake superior vistas.
Public Domain. Tim Burke
Download Original (3568 x 2416 pixels, 6017.1 MB)
-
This lakeshore route has many views of Lake Superior, beaches, and rugged rock formations.
Public Domain. Tim Burke
Download Original (2417 x 3616 pixels, 5356.7 MB)
-
The Eagle Harbor Lighthouse was commissioned in 1851. Three museums on site include the Maritime Museum, Keweenaw Mining Museum, and Keweenaw Commercial Fishing Museum
Public Domain. Tim Burke
Download Original (2425 x 3592 pixels, 5134.4 MB)
-
White letters jump off the sign, proclaiming this place the Keweenaw National Historical Park.
Public Domain. Tim Burke
Download Original (3576 x 2456 pixels, 5187.4 MB)
-
The #2 Shafthouse (left) and the Hoist House (right) are the Quincy Mine Company's main features. The steam hoist, still located inside, is the largest steam hoist in the world.
Public Domain. Courtesy of Keweenaw National Historical Park, Dan Johnson
Download Original (700 x 335 pixels, 228.5 KB)
-
The sun peeks through rolling clouds to shine on the red bricks of Calumet & Hecla Warehouse Number 1.
Public Domain. Courtesy of Keweenaw National Historical Park, Dan Johnson
Download Original (2400 x 1175 pixels, 2503.7 MB)
-
The red and white lighthouse towers above a museum on top of a small cliff, leading down to the water.
Public Domain. Courtesy of Keweenaw Tourism Council
Download Original (1198 x 1827 pixels, 1394.7 MB)
-
The widest and heaviest double-decker bridge in the world acts as the gateway to the Copper Country Trail. The blue and white Portage Lake Life Bridge spans the lake to give visitors a great view of the lake.
Public Domain. Photo by Justin Murawski
Download Original (1498 x 995 pixels, 343.1 KB)
-
The white, spired church sits by the side of the road.
Public Domain. Tim Burke
Download Original (2417 x 3616 pixels, 5751.4 MB)
-
Located in downtown Calumet, the Calumet Theater combines yellow and red bricks in stunning harmony.
Public Domain. Courtesy of Keweenaw National Historical Park, Dan Johnson
Download Original (2100 x 1268 pixels, 2267.0 MB)
-
Formally known as the Norman McDonald house (1906). Mr. McDonald was a drugest and large investor in the Calumet and Arizona Mining company. The home has seven bedrooms, seven fireplaces, and a ballroom. Currently the home is a privately owned bed & breakfast.
Public Domain. Tim Burke
Download Original (2646 x 2405 pixels, 4852.5 MB)
-
This wooden Bridge spans the Eagle River.
Public Domain. Tim Burke
Download Original (3608 x 2433 pixels, 5756.3 MB)
-
A man lingers at a gift shop in Copper Harbor.
Public Domain. Tim Burke
Download Original (3616 x 2441 pixels, 5985.4 MB)
-
Silver River Falls is located east of Eagle Harbor. This is an example of the common rustic signage found at visitor attractions, roadside parks, etc.
Public Domain. Tim Burke
Download Original (2648 x 2416 pixels, 5105.5 MB)
-
In the distance you can see the red roof of an abandoned copper mine. In the foreground is a green marsh.
Public Domain. Tim Burke
Download Original (2488 x 3648 pixels, 5886.0 MB)
-
Built in 1844, this 19th century military post provided order on the Keweenaw frontier. The fort has been restored and has museum exhibits and period interpretation. The Park is open mid-May to mid-October.
Public Domain. Courtesy of Tim Burke.
Download Original (3592 x 2368 pixels, 5526.3 MB)
-
The hoist was built in 1918 and is the world's largest steam hoist. The site includes underground mine tours, tours of the grounds, displays of authentic mining equipment, and a tram ride.
Public Domain. Photo by Charles Eshbach
Download Original (2264 x 3552 pixels, 4842.3 MB)